|Table of Contents|
|The Early Sixties|
|45 Years of Serving|
The Early Sixties...
In the early 1960's, when the national media was imprinting black and white images of tragedy and uncertainty on our memories, the North Suburban YMCA's scrapbook began to fill its pages with stories and pictures of growth and direction for the future. The Northbrook Y formally approved the proposed donation of land by the Covenant Church of America in April 1963. During that same year, our Y Indian-Guide program was started and the first Y community service project took place when 27 boys and girls from our Y community helped the Northbrook Garden Club clean up our local River Bank. Summer swim programs for Y members were held at Glenbrook North High School. The Northbrook Y officially changed its name to the North Suburban YMCA and moved its office to 1852 Shermer Road, where it had the complete use of basement facilities donated by Drs. Albert Nischke and Henry Diettrich.
The fundraising campaign to build the Y's present facility started in the fall of 1966. Mr. James Otis, Jr. served as the general campaign chairman. Through commitment to the community and the Y mission, the goal became reality when the Y family moved into its new home on March 19, 1969. Later years saw the addition and renovation of facilities to meet our changing needs. This resulted in the current 85,000 square ft. building which our community and members call home.