Addressing our Nation's Growing Health Crisis
Activate America® is the YMCA's bold approach to directly address our nation's growing health crisis. Our mission compels us to transform the way we work, both internally and externally, to support all kids, adults, families and communities in their pursuit of well-being in spirit, mind and body. In addressing America's unprecedented health crisis, the YMCA is best equipped to influence change in individuals and in our communities to proactively address this health crisis, which is central to the achievement of our mission.
In some ways, Activate America® is a reflection back to our earliest years in defining individual health as the union of spirit, mind, and body. It builds on the significant role we played in defining health and well-being starting in the 1960s.
In order to reflect the bold vision reflected in Activate America®:
- We will support healthy lifestyles by reaching out and engaging all those who seek well-being of spirit, mind and body.
- We will create and sustain healthier communities by actively participating in our communities and connecting our networks and resources to influence decisions that impact health.
YMCAs demonstrate their commitment to Activate America® in the following ways:
- More than 400 YMCAs across the country are in the process of redefining themselves and engaging their communities to provide better opportunities for people of all ages in their pursuit of health and well-being in spirit, mind and body.
- Over 900 YMCAs joined September's America On the Move Week at the YMCA. During this week, YMCAs host events and activities to motivate people to take small steps to get active and increase the number of daily steps they take.
- Annually each spring, more than 1,400 YMCAs host a YMCA Healthy Kids® Day. This is an interactive special event that, through fun, engaging and creative activities, encourages children and families to adopt behaviors that support a healthy lifestyle.
- YMCAs in nearly 50 states are a part of Pioneering Healthier Communities, a project that engages key community stakeholders to develop strategies that reduce barriers and increase support for healthy living in local communities.
- National partners who provide expert advice to YMCAs across the nation regarding Activate America® include Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Steps to a HealthierUS initiative, Harvard School of Public Health, Stanford University School of Medicine, Disney Channel, Kellogg Company, JCPenney Afterschool Fund, Kimberly-Clark Corporation and PepsiCo.